Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Case of The Missing Mouse

A few posts ago I mentioned a bazaar happening at our house. We had set some mouse traps only to find that the next morning one of the traps had completely disappeared. There was a smudge of blood along one of our baseboards but the trap was gone. We even pulled out the oven to see if the mouse had somehow dragged the trap under there, but all we found were hairballs, crayons and general nastiness (as if that isn't gross enough with out looking for a mortally wounded, half dead mouse). It grossed me out all day so when Paxton came back home I had him pull out the oven again but I wanted him to look behind the cabinets. So, he went and got a flashlight and crawled into a corner behind our lazy susan. Back there, he found a lemon sized hole chewed in the drywall and a bloody trap sitting outside of it. I guess the mouse had been caught in the trap, somehow dragged the under the stove, behind the cabinets where it got stuck at the hole in the wall. Then somehow it got rid of the trap, crawled in the hole and died somewhere in the walls. So, I am supposing that somewhere we have (not skeletons in the closet) but skeletons in our walls. There also was a suspiciously bad smell coming from a room on the other side of the house that Paxton suspects was the remains of the mouse. For someone who likes their house neat and organized, that very though makes me want to gag. I don't think there is a moral of this story, nor is it useful in anyway. However I hope it is enough to scare away any other mice that should contemplate entering our home. Seriously, seriously gross...

3 comments:

(me)linda said...

I don't think I'm very prissy, but rodents sick me out...dead or alive. Hopefully the stink doesn't last too long...and there isn't a colony in your ceiling like in ratatouille...unless of course one of your rodents is a world class chef and would take over dinner service for you.

JoJo said...

I was wondering about that mouse.

Anonymous said...

sounds like packy and thurm dog running their rock chuck trap line as kids all over again - just in miniture...unca dale