Monday, March 23, 2009

Pageant Recap

It is all over. I can honestly say that I had a great time and am very glad I did this all. I didn't win any awards but I met all my personal goals I wanted to and made some fairly profound revelations about myself. As promised I will give an honest recap of my opinion one the whole matter. (This may be lengthy but I promise it is interesting.)

I guess it didn't occur to me before that pageants stay in business because they are just that... a business. The person that wins the title is the one that the heads of the business thinks is most likely to promote more business. Somehow (perhaps because of vanity) people are willing to pay a fair amount of money and work very hard to apply for this position, that if they win, they will work for free for a year. There is a lot of prestige that comes with the application and title, so for many it is worth it. In the mean time many good causes get publicity and work done for them for free. However, I think that many (not all) contestants would not do the work without it being part of the pageant. I can say this all because I did it and I don't regret any of the work I have done. There are some really strong, amazing women in the pageant system and I am lucky to now have many as my friends.

Besides the work there is a ton of financial responsibility that comes with a pageant. By the time the average contestant competes she has often paid for professional pictures, a graphic designer to do her advertisement page, expensive hair styling, a nice interview suit, several hundred dollars on an evening gown, fitness wear/swimsuit, an opening number dress, several pairs of shoes, several pairs of 4 inch earrings and other accessories, makeup, spray tan, fake eyelashes, fake boobs, spanks(or other slimmers), and several professional outfits for meetings and rehearsals. For those who are serious about pageants there are interview coaches and image consultants to teach you how to compete. Contestants are encouraged to find sponsors to help cover the cost but that too adds up to more work.

As in most competitions it is rare to find someone who excels the first time they compete and pageantry is no exception. The gal who won the title on Saturday, Melanie DeMure, Mrs. Sun Valley, has done pageants for many years and has already been Mrs. California International. It is not unusual for women to compete in a couple pageants a year. There were several women who in my pageant who had already competed in four or five pageants previously. I guess practice makes perfect.

All in all, I am very pleased with my performance. I lost 13 pounds putting me at my high school weight even after having four babies. I bought all my modest, competition clothes on clearance and did not feel out of place with the other women on stage. I represented myself well even when the answers weren't what the judges were looking for. And I made some seriously cool friends.

Thank you again to all my friends and family who have encouraged and supported me on this crazy learning experience.

Tired of rehearsing (9:30 am to 10:30 pm):

pageant friends:

My page in the program:

Evening gown:






Fitness wear

Interview Day:

With Kiwanis Club (my biggest sponsor):

6 comments:

J and Ris said...

I thought you were absolutely beautiful! I enjoyed being there and being able to cheer my heart out for you! Great job babe!!

Anonymous said...

you're a bonified genuine babe Jamer! tuck this away as a great experience and keep on being you! congrats on completing the competition and working thru the cerebreal games. luv...unca dale

(me)linda said...

I'm so glad you had a good experience! You're awesome Jaym!!

Marky Mark and the Funky bunch said...

You did great! It was so fun cheering for you. Congrats on accomplishing your goals!

Annie said...

Helloooooooo, HOTTIE!!! You look fantastic! I'm glad you had a good time and it sounds like you learned a lot. I'm glad too, because that's information I wanted to know :) Baby, you'll always be my beauty queen:)

Anne said...

What a fun experience Jaymie! You looked good before and now look at you. You are gorgeous!