Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Girls and Guns

I wrote this in response to my brother-on-law who sent me an article on why women should carry hand guns. I got a good kick out of it.

Dear (name removed to protect the guilty),
Thanks for sending the Front Sight blog. It has completely changed the way I feel about guns! Not really, but I am seriously afraid of Dr. Ignatious Piazza and his very formidable mustache. The thought of meeting a mustache like that in a dark alley is enough to make me get a concealed weapons permit. In fact he could probably hide a 9mm in his mustache.

Anyway, since the argument of why I need a gun has been presented, I thought I would give you the same answers I gave Paxton (and will probably get the same response). If I was so very concerned about my safety there are a number of things I could do to minimize personal risk like, move to Gooding, stop riding a motorcycle, quit playing sports, remove all steak knives from my home (I have been tempted to do this on occasion), and give Avery weighted shoes to keep her from climbing things. Odds are that by doing any of these I would minimize risk of things that are much more likely to happen statistically than me being attacked and need a gun.

I am not afraid of guns. I have a healthy respect for them. We own one that I know how to use and practice with several times a year. I don’t see why we need more guns or what good they would do Paxton as he spends 99.9 percent of his time in a cube at Micron, in our church building and in our house (where he already has one gun.) I simply don’t like guns and that is an educated opinion. I don’t like lots of things like curry, parallel parking, the color mustard yellow, the sport of football (American), and guns. I am entitled to that opinion and there isn’t anything you or Paxton can do about it. You can call me close minded but I have read material on both sides of the story and with my given personal experience that is my call.

Finally, I don’t know why I should listen to two guys tell me I need a gun for my own safety when both of said men have managed to shoot themselves on accident.

Lovingly and affectionately your sister-in-law,

Jaymie


This is Dr. Ignatious Piazza and his mustache:

5 comments:

Kira: said...

Very well said. I also don't like guns, will not allow one in my house, and ganged up (with my brother in law) against my father in law to get him to buy a gun case instead of keeping his guns under the bed where the grandkids could reach them.

For the record, I also don't like curry, and I also DO ride a motorcycle. :-)

(me)linda said...

Awesome.

Shannon said...

Jaymie, if you don't want to carry a gun you definitely should not.

Joleen said...

Love it Jaymie!!!
I can respect your dislike for guns, but you don't like Curry.....I don't know if we can be friends anymore!?!? ;D

Lynnie said...

Is this a constant battle among husbands and wives? We have the same conversations over here. I'm not against guns either but we already have 6 long ones (shotguns and rifles) in the gun cabinet so why would we need a handgun? And if my husband could remember to feed this dogs each day, then I might believe him that he'd remember to lock his gun up each day. I'm just opposed to guns and kids mainly. Even country kids that will probably get a rifle when they turn 12 don't really need a handgun sitting in their dad's unlocked truck, sitting in the driveway. Amen sister.