Thursday, October 23, 2008

Doggon it (2)

It is true. We have gotten rid of our lovable dog Red. He really was the calmest, sweetest, most beautiful dog ever but after trying to work this out for six months I threw in the towel. Red was an outside dog which was fine until he realized he could jump our fence. Then when I couldn't keep him in the yard anymore I tried to bring him in the house and had a horrid time trying to house break him when Paxton was gone all the time and I was trying to tutor and run the kids everywhere. So, we found a nice him for him with a higher fence and kids to play with. For those of you contemplating pets, I have to say that our tortoise as been the best... no special food, no noise, no shedding, minimal clean up and too slow to run away from the kids. Now if I could just figure out where he scooted off to... If reptiles aren't your thing, I found this list. It is pretty funny:

Top Ten Low Maintenance Pets

1. Goldfish/ put them in a bowl with a fake plant, throw in food, call it good.
2. Earthworm/ strange and hardly move, easy to keep in a jar or can
3. Ladybug/ they're cute and little and probably eat grass
4. Neighborhood cat (not feral) / not your pet, not your problem
5. Imaginary Dog/ creative and fun and very well trained
6. Stuffed Squirrel / throw some business at your local taxidermist. they're cuddly and furry and never bite.
7. House Fly / these little guys only live 36-48 hours, but they're replaceable and are actually quite friendly.
8. Bee in a Jar/ great for metaphorical lessons, fun for the kids.\
9. Ant Farm/ you can buy them in a kit, on the internets.
10. Sea Monkeys/ even brine shrimp now have their own fansite and why shouldn't they? These are the best pets ever!

I have to say my favorites are the neighborhood cat (thanks Cougar), the imaginary dog (although mine was an imaginary peacock), and the worms (be cautious of washing them a Slimy will slide right down the drain).

1 comment:

Anne said...

Usually about 3 in the morning, I wish our neighbor's dog were imaginary.