Monday, December 22, 2008

Jinx

I supposed I jinxed myself. By saying that I was going to try my best to be happy I should have known that I was tempting fate (like wearing a white shirt and eating pizza). I have a huge 4ft X 4ft painting that I have been making for a friend. Just yesterday I was told my friend that I would have her painting done by Tuesday before we left for Christmas. Today, another of my friends gave us their old key board that I was going to put in our study and I moved the painting temporarily to fit the keyboard in a spot against the wall. Five minutes later I was saying goodbye to my friend when my older daughter came running yelling that my three year old had ripped a hole in my painting. I came in to find two six and one inch slices in my painting. My daughter had jumped from a chair on to the painting that had been leaning up against the desk. I didn't yell or scream or swear (though tempted to do all three at once) and quietly sent her to time out.

THEN I decided to get pizza since it was late and I was using all my energy trying not to turn into the She Hulk. I came home and was getting the pizza ready when my littlest daughter got into an Avon box I had stupidly left with in her reach. She promptly opened the box with all the delicacy of a three-year-old, flinging the pieces of the broken bracelet, that I was going to return, into the land of all lost articles that include my keys, spoons and single socks that will never be seen again. (I didn't yell or scream but counted to ten and not so quietly sent her to time out).

THEN I went to put the pizza in the oven and somehow misjudged the 18 inches that I had to slide the pizza into the oven. The pizza buckled, folded in half and ended up in a pile on the door of my oven. So, on top of my garbage disposal that had broken that morning, I get to clean out my oven. (I didn't yell or scream and only swore in my head and then held my breath until I was in control.)

Despite fate's determination to ruin my goal, I will kiss my kids good night, smile when my husband walks in the door and go to bed early before something else happens. Besides, I have a lot of cleaning to do tomorrow.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jaymie, I am SOOOOO sorry! I feel somewhat responsible since it was I who brought the keyboard... I was impressed with how calm you were with Avery. Honestly, i could have never been so calm if my kids had done that, I would have really yelled and probably spanked out of frustration. You are an amazing Mom and have the big picture in perfect view. Your kids are very lucky to have you. Just think of this as comedic material for family reunions in years to come. I love you!!!

Tab

Anne said...

Oh no! You are an example to me because there is no way I could handle that situation as unruffled as you did.

Did you see on my blog that I passed my math class? Thanks for all of your help! Don't forget to send the kids over sometime after Christmas.

(me)linda said...

You gotta knock on wood when you make those kind of commitments! :) Keep it up Jaymie. Your awesome.

Tiffany said...

Oh, I shouldn't have told you I was going to do the same, because I think I ended up spending almost the whole day crying yesterday. And I didn't have even half the day you did. Next time I'll make the plan and then announce when I've successfully completed it! Hope you had a Merry Christmas today!

JoJo said...

Um yeah. Crappy day. You're a good sport!

J and Ris said...

You dealt with all of that much better than I could have! You are a great example to me! Keep it up!