Wednesday, July 1, 2009

more on adoption...

When we found out the first adoption possibility wasn't going to work out, I was upset. Partly for myself and partly for those little boys. They had a grandpa who loved them enough to want them to have a better home than he could give them but the boys parents decided to fight for custody back because they didn't get their welfare check without them.

The last two weeks we had two other possibilities we were looking at. The first was my friend's sister step-daughter. She was 21, pregnant with her fourth by at least two different dads, and the oldest was four. She lived off welfare until the State said she had to get a job. She doesn't like her male children for some reason and the baby she is expecting is a little boy. She had considered adoption on and off for her other kids and had told her step mom that she was having a baby that she never wanted. So we offered to adopt the little boy, and if she wanted, her other little boy that she refers to simply as "the boy." We would have liked to keep them as brothers. Then we heard back that the father of the baby she was pregnant with was considering claiming paternity with this baby (he is the father of he two little girls but wasn't considering claiming them, just a SON). The last message we got said she might as well just keep it.

During this same time a friend of mine that just adopted her second baby told me that her 15 yr old neighbor just had a little red-headed boy. She swore until she was in labor that she wasn't pregnant. She was supposed to be starting her freshman year of high school, her mom has terminal cancer, her dad was unemployed and she also had three younger siblings and then all of the sudden she has a new born baby. If there was ever a perfect situation for adoption, this was it. So, my friend talked with her parents and they said they would be supportive if that is what she wanted. Then yesterday my friend got to speak with the new mom and she decided she wanted to keep her baby.

In each of these I could not help but put my heart on the line. I don't think there is anyway to consider taking a child into your home and family without that connection. But now I am fed up with selfishness and stupidity. I should say something about knowing that this is just one step closer to finding the baby that is supposed to be in our home but I am really just ticked right now.

5 comments:

(me)linda said...

Wow, there's definitely an ugly/sad side to humanity. Hang in there, Jaymie. You'll get your opportunity to make a difference to a child in need. Don't let this make a negative difference in you. Keep eating your chocolate. :) Love you so much!

JoJo said...

Bring on the Ben & Jerry's, and like Linda said, don't let it make you cynical. We ALL need your smile.

Annie said...

I'm feelin' for ya, Jaymie. It's a scary world we live in. I think of the story of the man who spent day after day on the beach,throwing starfish back into the sea, trying to save their lives. When asked why he was wasting his time and was told he couldn't possibly make a difference, he threw one more in and replied simply, "It made a difference to that one." You'll find your little starfish, Jaymie, and you'll make a world of a difference to that one. I love you!

Joleen said...

I love the starfish analogy!! It fits! Just be patient till you find your starfish! Till then its OK to be mad...just don't over self-medicate on melted chocolate bars and Ben & Jerry's!! ;D

And thanks for meeting us today! It was lots of fun!

Bunnell's said...

Jaymie...I am sorry! I hope you find one quick. It is sad to see how people can be.