Thursday, August 13, 2009

Inappropriate

It has taken me some time to be able to get over the humiliation of this enough to write about it. I don't know if I have ever acted so badly in my life but it was honest to goodness involuntary.

So, a few weeks ago we attended Paxton's grandfather's funeral. I had never been to a viewing before and I appreciated the reverent spirit in the room. We all went through the line and said good-bye to grandpa. The kids were relatively well behaved and stayed pretty quiet. We were one of the last to go through the line and were standing back in a corner keeping the kids out of the way while the line finished and we all stood in a semi-circle around grandma and grandpa. I didn't get too teary until grandma leaned over and gave grandpa a last kiss. Then, as I was trying to choke back tears, Avery walked through the crowd up to the casket. I tried to discretely dash up behind her but she was out in front of everyone when I reached her. As I picked her up and started walking back to the corner she said quietly, "Mom, why is grandpa dead?"
I said,"His body was very old and it didn't work anymore." She looked over my shoulder back and the half open casket and in a panic said, "Mom! Where are grandpa's legs?!
The question caught me totally off guard, I could see what connection she had made. Grandpa's body quit working, he died and his legs seem to be missing, that must be why he died. And as I had been on the brink of overwhelming emotion anyway all of the sudden, standing in front of all of grandpa's loving family, I started to laugh... hysterically. It was a face-crumbling, snorting, tears running down my face laugh. All I could think in my head was, "Stop it, right now! This is horrible, stop it!" but that made it worse. I looked up though my tears to see Paxton, totally mortified looking at me like I had just lost my mind. I handed Avery to him as she was still saying, "But mom, where did his legs go?" and I headed to the corner only to hear my neice say, "Grandpa died of a brain tumor. My rat Daisy had a tumor and it was THIS big. She died too." That set me off some more so I faced the wall and hunched over hoping it looked like I was bawling. When I turned around my eyes were so red out of humiliation and hysterics it probably looked like I had been crying. Eventually, I pulled it together in time to follow the group into the service. As I sat down with my kids I just hoped that from heaven Grandpa could forgive me and maybe even got a little laugh out of it. I guess it is true that God gave us children to keep us humble.

7 comments:

(me)linda said...

Made me laugh. A lot. :) I read it out loud to Greg and he said, "The funniest part of that is, I can see you doing to same thing." I'm pretty sure he's right. The mouths of babes...I tell you what...

I bet Grandpa got a laugh out of it too.

noelle said...

ohhh... hysterical. kids just know exactly what to say at exactly the right moment to make things amazingly awkward and embarrassing. i think they come programmed that way... the rat part really got me, though... hilarious.

Shannon said...

That is too funny! I can totally picture this. I had to read it to David, he thought it was funny as well. You just have to love kids!

Jason and Lorisa Hirschi said...

I heard the conversation about the Rat and the tumor, but I totally missed you laughing. You either hid it well or I was completly oblivious. Thanks for sharing!

Tab and Alistair said...

Oh man, I was anticipating something even worse as I was reading, with Avery I was anticipating some blood. I am sure grandpa got a great laugh at it, and this will be a legend in your family forever.

Bunnell's said...

That is too good:) Maddi was sitting on my mom's lap at my Grandma's funeral at the graveside. She had seen all of us sob for a couple of days. Maddi had enough...She turns to my mother and says "Grandma, STOP CRYING! Right now STOP IT, THAT IS ENOUGH, NO MORE..." My mom did the same thing as you...started to laugh. We need it sometimes. It helps get through the rough times:) Loved your story!

Hey lady are we car pooling. Either way I don't mind if we do or don't!!!

ShaRene Knox said...

So hilarious!