Thursday, January 22, 2009

More Weirdness (caution contains minor blood and gore)

So, what began as one mouse in our kitchen has somehow turned into at least six. They must have been breeding in the walls or something. So, we called an all out extermination order and so far have caught five (three of which Paxton caught, not bare-handed but glove-handed). But something happened last night that rivals everything I know about mice. I came down this morning (Paxton had already left for work) to find the stove pushed away from the wall and the broom behind the stove. We have had a mouse explode in a trap before and it was gross, so that was my first fear. I called Paxton to see if I could put the stove back but when I reached him things got even stranger. He asked if I had moved any of the traps last night. I assured him that I hadn't touched any and asked why. He said one of the traps was missing. There was evidence on the baseboard that something had been injured right where the trap was but the trap had disappeared. He had moved the stove to see if a wounded mouse may have dragged the trap in there but there wasn't anything but mouse droppings, lost crayons and hairballs. I'm not squeamish. Even the thought of mice in my kitchen, although unpleasant, doesn't phase me much. But this missing mouse and trap have the thoroughly weirded out. Every unusual noise I hear makes me think there is a mouse, half stuck in a trap, mortally wounded and dying underneath one of my kitchen cabinets. Or I'm going to wake up one morning and step on it coming down the stairs. Seriously gross and seriously weird.

6 comments:

TPlayer said...

When I was in Kansas last year, living with my brother, we had a bit of a mouse problem. They were just tiny little things, but none the less...annoying. In fact, they were so tiny that traps didn't work well. So my brother decided to use sticky spider traps. Talk about Squeemish!!! Imagine how disturbing it was to come home and hear constant squeaking, knowing you were about to see a little mouse stuck to one of the traps and struggling for dear life. Their little eyes seemed to look up at me begging for mercy. The worst was when the traps would move, because we knew there was a crippled mouse limping around somewhere. Talk about cruel!

Jason and Lorisa Hirschi said...

Maybe the mouse with a trap attached to his back jumped over the fence like Tu-Tuga....Just a thought.

Tiffany said...

Okay- ew. I don't think I could be nearly that calm about mice in my house. I hope you find him soon to give you a little peace of mind.

Ware Family said...

ewww......that IS seriously gross and seriously weird.

I saw a huge, fat spider on my basement stairs when we first moved in, and since then, I have to always have the light on when I go down. I'm always afraid I'll step on one if I don't.

EW!

(me)linda said...

I'm generally not very squeamish, but I'm pretty sure I would NOT be OK with mice in my kitchen...living or half dead.

J and Ris said...

ewww! I can't stand the thought of things crawling around my house. I'm sorry you're dealing with that! Good luck!